Saturday, September 23, 2006

Mirror,Mirror, on the wall...


Gracie got this princess wand for her birthday. It says things like "you are adorable". You have pretty eyes" Blah blah blah. You see, I am not really a "princess" type of girl. I had my share of Barbies growing up, but I was really more of a tom boy and would climb trees and ride my horse, too. But somehow, Gracie Loves Princesses. I am not even really sure where she first saw them. I know some people who will not even expose their girls to such things. "What does this teach them?" they ask. "To wait for their prince to save them?". But I don' think we can shield our children from everything, and I really do not see any harm in the Princess stories. I feel like I can still teach her that she can be strong and not have to depend on anyone. But if I could make a magic wand for girls, here is what it would it would say. "You are a strong person". "You are so smart!". "You can do anything you want to do". Well, the party is over and we have more princess stuff than I have ever seen. And it will be fine! I'll post pictures tomorrow.

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Hey, I got her that wand! I thought it was cute. I didn't really pay attention to what it said. I don't think you have to worry about Gracie growing up strong. She is one tough cookie!

Sugar Cookies And Hope said...

We should patent one that says the things you said! Wouldn't it be lovely to teach girls that their beauty lies within their own strength.

C's Mom said...

I'd be in line to buy your wand. Not crazy about the frou-frou stuff myself :0)

One Lucky Mom said...

As the mother to two princess fans, I like to point out 1.) Mulan kicks bottom and saves all the boys 2.) Belle is a really good reader 3.) Pocahontas likes to hike and is a good camper.

As for the princes? I tell the girls that princes are great, but all the princesses already graduated from college...that is why they can live happily ever after.

PS- I'd buy that wand you're talking about.