Monday, October 10, 2005

Sibling Rivalry

I went to a talk about this last week and thought I would share my findings with you. For those who have no or only one child, it may come in handy one day. For those who have two or more...I hope it helps.
To keep things in perspective: Children engage in fights with peers or siblings an average of NINE times per hour! Your Kids are normal. (her #1 tip was to lower your expectations)
  1. Resist the urge to compare
  2. Treat your children Uniquely rather than equally
  3. Try to stay out of your children's arguments
  4. Intervene when fighting can't be ignored(i.e someone's getting hurt)
  5. Spend alone time with each child
  6. Don't force togetherness
  7. Allow for some private property and private time
  8. Children learn a lot about compromises by having siblings
I hope that helps someone! I hope it helps me!!

No comments: