Monday, October 10, 2005

Patience is a virtue...Just not one of mine...

Contrary to what my children and the neighbors might think, I DO NOT LIKE TO YELL...I don't not want to be that kind of Mommy. I don't not want to be that kind of person. So why do I? Because it feels as if no one listens to me. Ever. Gracie doesn't listen because,well, she's two. Cameron doesn't listen because-I don't know...Here is how our conversations begin. "Sweetie, it is time to get dressed" No response. "Cameron, it is time to get dressed, almost time for school" Nothing. "Did you hear me? It is time to get dressed" Nada. "GET DRESSED RIGHT NOW OR THERE WILL BE NO T.V. FOR A WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" He starts to get up and 20 minutes later he MIGHT be dressed...
I'm working on it...

1 comment:

Donna said...

My son was/is exactly the same way. And he's now age 17! Try speaking in a calm voice but throw the consequence in at the end. No screaming. Just ask nicely once then ask nicely the 2nd time with a consequence tacked on the end.

Donna
Mom to Michael - 17
Mom to Gwendolyn - 1

PS: Don't threaten a punishment that will really punish you. No TV for a week means you'll have to entertain him!